Natural Gas Safety Tips
Stay Safe - Call Before You Dig: Safe digging is everyone’s responsibility. It’s a free service to notify SC811 of your planned excavation to help prevent damages that may result in fines, utility service interruption and injury – even death. Please see SC811.com for more information.
5 Steps to Safe Digging
Wait the required amount of time. For normal notice tickets, you must wait three full business days, not including the day you requested your locate.
Check positive response (call 811 or 888-721-7877) to ensure that all the lines at your dig site have been marked.
Respect the marks. Keep your marks in tact and call for a re-mark if the marks are destroyed by weather or other construction related activity.
Dig carefully around buried utilities.
CPW WANTS YOU TO KNOW ABOUT NATURAL GAS SAFETY
THE FOUR R’S OF GAS LEAK RESPONSE
The most reliable sign of a natural gas leak is smell. Natural gas smells like rotten eggs or sulfur. If you detect such a smell, it may be a sign of a gas leak.
- Have occupants exit the building immediately.
- Open doors and windows if you can do so quickly to allow for ventilation.
- Move to a safe location.
- Never smoke or light a match if you suspect a gas leak.
- Do not turn electrical appliances or light switches on or off, operate motorized equipment or vehicles, or use any device that could cause a spark or become a source of ignition, including cell phones.
CPW WANTS YOU TO KNOW ABOUT CARBON MONOXIDE
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless flammable gas that is slightly less dense than air.
Where is CO found?
CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in vehicles, small engines and gas appliances.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
Common symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach and vomiting.
How can you prevent CO poisoning in your home?
Install a battery operated or battery back-up CO detector on every level of your home.
Have your gas appliances and chimney checked every year by a qualified technician.
Never use a gas range or oven for the purpose of heating your home.
Never use generators, portable camp stoves or charcoal in your home.
Never run vehicles inside your garage.